Stephanie's Reviews > The Girls from Ames: A Story of Women and a Forty-Year Friendship

The Girls from Ames by Jeffrey Zaslow

Aug 30, 2011

liked it
Read in August, 2011

I admire Zaslow for delving so deeply into these women's relationships, and I admire the women for letting him. The book is a profile of the girls from Ames, Iowa, now women who have known each other most of their lives and who continue to gather yearly. In one book, it was hard for Zaslow to do justice to each of the eleven women, and I was alternately annoyed by trying to keep track of who was whom and curious to know more about certain incidents. By virtue of the book focusing on all the women in the group, it didn't really focus on any single person well, though a few notable stories and incidents shine through. What really made the book enjoyable was that it's a reminder (with some studies thrown in, for measure) that these enduring friendships are so key to happiness and identity for women, both in their childhoods and beyond, and I saw my own group of "old" friends portrayed here in glimpses, too. If nothing else, it made me grateful for my own girlfriends and look forward even more to OUR annual reunion next month.

"They've been gathering like this all their adult lives. Every year or so, they fly or drive somewhere to be together, and once they arrive, it's as if they've stepped into a time machine. Being in each other's comapny, they feel like they are every age they ever were, because they see themselves through thousands of shared memories." - pg 3.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls from Ames.