Evanston Public Library's Reviews > No Way Renee: The Second Half of My Notorious Life

No Way Renee by Renee Richards

1975296
Aug 30, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction

I vaguely remember the 1976 controversy when tennis amateur Renee Richards became the first transgendered person to play on the circuit, however after recently catching the documentary Renee on cable I wanted to know more. The documentary covered Dick Raskin turned Renee Richards’ personal and professional life, both as a gifted tennis player and talented ophthalmologist. She seemed to me to be such a paradox, moving from the east coast to California post surgery to begin her new life as a woman and yet also entering tennis tournaments that were sure to uncover the secret she claimed she desperately wanted to hide. Wanting to know more about her life, I sought out Richards’ second book, No Way Renee, which focuses on the second half of her life, post gender change. She takes the reader through the highs and lows of her life thus far, and let’s us in on the joys and regrets she has faced. Richards is an honest and unapologetic narrator and her story makes for an interesting read.

Rika G.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Way Renee.