Dana's Reviews > Escape

Escape by Barbara Delinsky

Aug 30, 2011

liked it
Read from August 30 to September 04, 2011

For decades I have loved the works of B. Delinsky, Anne Rivers Siddens and Nancy Thayer. In the last month I have read the newest novel of all 3 authors and am astounded by what they have lost. Delinsky was always a sure bet for a mesmerizing, gripping and beautifully written novel. Escape escaped all of these adjectives. There were at least half a dozen typos and several grammatical errors, as well! What is going on w/ the editing these days?
The premise of this book was a good one: What happens when today's female yuppies,( in this case, a 32 yr. old attorney), simply get fed up with the rat race, technology, and never taking time to enjoy nature and genuine communication? Emily, the protagonist, decides she simply has to get away and returns to a small NH town where she once spent a romantic, magical summer, falling in love with Jude (basically a spoiled loser) and enjoying the warmth of Jude's family. She returns, not looking to be with Jude, since Emily is happily married, but to find herself again, find the young girl she was, just after college. The cast of characters include unscrupulous lawyers, bastard swindlers, a meek baker, an old best friend, an overbearing matriarch, and a wonderful husband (James). Sounds good, but it just didn't flow well until the last 30 pages when there was some really excitement. There are coyotes and animals in need of love and rescuing, but the characters need rescuing as well. Again, the premise was good, but on many levels the story was slow and never did congeal as well as the author is capable. I could not believe the numerous typos that were so blatant that anyone would notice, let alone a paid editor. Are these authors simply getting too old? I would hate to think that as they are not much older than I am, and I do not yet feel my brain has slipped! It is not the worst book ever, but definitely well under par for Ms. Delinsky!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escape.

01/26 marked as: read