Ginny Messina's Reviews > World Vegan Feast: 200 Fabulous Recipes From Over 50 Countries

World Vegan Feast by Bryanna Clark Grogan

Mar 02, 2013

Read in March, 2013

I reviewed this on examiner.com and am going to just copy that review here. Bryanna is a brilliant cook and her food knowledge is vast. This cookbook is highly recommended. Here's the review:

World Vegan Feast is like a culinary trip around the globe, with food historian and expert cook Bryanna Clark Grogan at your side. This is, first and foremost, an inviting and fun cookbook with its incredible selection of more than 200 internationally-inspired recipes—like Sizzling Saigon Crepes, Nepalese Green Beans with Coconut, Almond Café Latte Cake, Rose-Scented Baklava, and Jamaican-style Pumpkin Rice.

But in addition to her talents as a creator of unique recipes, Bryanna is known in cooking circles for her in-depth knowledge about food science and history. World Vegan Feast is her eighth cookbook, and her generously-shared knowledge makes it an essential and highly entertaining guide to vegan food preparation.

The book is packed with well-researched food facts and tips. Whether you want to know how to juice a pomegranate, why No-Knead Crusty Artisanal Bread doesn’t require kneading, the difference between vital wheat gluten and gluten flour, or three easy ways to make polenta, Bryanna provides the fascinating—and helpful—details.

The first chapter of World Vegan Feast covers “kitchen essentials,” including instructions for making vegan cheeses and mayonnaise, choosing the best pantry items, and using basic soy and gluten products. While there are options throughout for choosing and finding commercial brands of vegan ingredients, if you’re on a strict grocery budget, you’ll want to try the simple made-from-scratch recipes for baking mix, homemade Worcestershire Sauce, and “Chicken-Style” Broth Powder.

There is a nice balance here between simple recipes with familiar ingredients, and more complex dishes for company (or for those who love to spend time in the kitchen). There are many make-ahead options, too, ideal for both entertaining and family dinners. But even the fast and easy recipes are enticing and special. Among those that take less than 30 minutes to prepare are Coconut Semolina Crepes, Italian Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, and Fresh Pineapple Noodle Stir-Fry.

4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World Vegan Feast.

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Oh, I am so eager to read this one. Can't wait to see what you think, Ginny.

message 2: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie I love your review! I suggested this for purchase at my library. I do hope they order it!

message 3: by Lindsey (new) - added it

Lindsey At first I wasn't too interested in this one, but then I saw Bryanna's Facebook picture album of food from the book, and holy cow! I put it on my wishlist immediately :)

message 4: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan I'm really hoping my library will get it.

message 5: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan I just read your review. I might have to buy it eventually.

message 6: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee Ginny, did you try many recipes from the book?

Ginny Messina I did make quite a few of the recipes--all excellent! And this is such a fun cookbook to read. I think you'll all like it a lot.

message 8: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee Thanks Ginny, I'm very interested in world cuisine so I can't wait to get my hands on a copy.