Carol. 's Reviews > The Mystery of Grace

The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint

Sep 17, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, paranormal-romance, fantasy
Read in August, 2011

Three and a half stars, rounding up.

Very nicely woven book. I always love de Lint's use of language and description, but he keeps his focus on the plot and character relationship here more than getting lost in the setting. The characters, Grace and John, became very real, and the side characters interesting. One of the most fascinating things about the book was that the setting for the afterlife became more real than the "real world" at times. I enjoyed the process of Grace gradually caring more and more about how this afterlife came to be and solving the mystery behind it. There's flashes of humor, lightning a potentially somber mood, and I appreciate the inclusion of a lot of diversity in characters--at times it can be hard to find fantasy that isn't about blond, blue-eyed women.

If I have any complaint, it's that the emphasis on hot-rods and surfer music became very repetitive, and I felt like the adjectives didn't change much. Gradually we did learn more about Grace and John, but for a man who consulted experts on both hot-rods and surfer music, I didn't believe where the love was coming from.

Having a police officer become involved in the last section was a jarring note in the story.

Aside from that, the story was unique, the relationships nicely and interestingly developed, both in the real world and the afterlife. Interesting musing on meaning and existence.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mystery of Grace.