Hope Barrett's Reviews > Somebody Get Me A Hammer!!

Somebody Get Me A Hammer!! by Hope Barrett

Jul 25, 2012

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: humour

In an age where massive self-promotion is rampant, it is now possible to review your own book, and give it, unabashedly, four stars, if for no other reason then to get someone else to read it. (There, I just clicked four.) On the one hand, the digital world of publishing is making it possible for a lot of authors to not wait years for their work to be "discovered" as a writer. They write and they Smashword or Lulu it for the world to see. Alas, the world is too busy to see, short of you throwing a fish at one or two individuals over the hue and cry of others busily selling their wares in the market place.

Why should it take someone else's opinion for you do decide what you should or should not read? Why isn't there the curiosity to peek at the first few pages to see if they capture your imagination and go from there? I have always bought my books based on the first few pages written by an author — they either moved me, or they did not. It is that subjective; that intimate. An author either speaks to you, or they do not. The stars are just for effect.

Somebody Get Me A Hammer!! offers dark humour on a bleak subject; it's hard to sell it in a couple of words when it is about multiple lives obviously crashing. You have to discover it for yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Somebody Get Me A Hammer!!.

Quotes Hope Liked

Hope Barrett
“Once an opportunist like Mickey, who took the argument when she jumped on some devastated wretch's machine and jackpotted that it was the "cash-ino's money" she was winning, Moon returned after her six month break with the view that the separation had somehow sweetened the honeypot. The sad reality, she quickly learned, was that she was not irreplaceable; as such, the Casino felt no compunction to welcome her back with multi-jackpots. Instead, it took her money everyday and did not once give her a jackpot so that she could say, "Ah. They missed me." Instead, all she could keep saying was, "Verr-y bed. Verr-y bed. Suck-ah all my money!”
Hope Barrett, Somebody Get Me A Hammer!!