Racquel's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Sep 27, 11

bookshelves: rave-rave-rave, ya, beautiful-covers, must-buy-authors, read-in-2011
Read from September 20 to 22, 2011

Review also posted on my blog: The Book Barbies

It goes without a doubt that Daughter of Smoke and Bone is the second Divergent of the year and I mean that buzz wise. I haven't read Divergent myself, but everyone has and everyone that has read it loves it and Daughter of Smoke and Bone is the exact same way. It barely came out today and already the hype about it is HUGE, so many people loved it and not a person hated. It's a favorite of the year for 90% of people who read it and let me be the first to say, ALL THE HYPE IS TRUE!

Laini Taylor really is an amazing writer, the world she created is fantastic and her characters are loveable, the plot? A page-turner but I think it's none of that that ultimately makes this book the 5 star deal for everyone but it's the writing.

It is beautiful.

So beautiful I kept rereading sentences because they are just so... fabulous! What do you think of when you hear the names Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn and Coco Chanel? Classy, beautiful, fabulous and iconic. They make you wanna whip out you're cat frames sunglasses, a ciggy and feel like you own the world. Well this is how the writing of Daughter of Smoke and Bone is.

Fabulous. Excellent. Marvelous. Magnificent. Remarkable. Extraordinary. Brilliant. Spectacular…. Just look up wonderful and all the synonyms you get describe the writing and prose.

Taylor has real skill, she has talent writers wish they had an ounce of. Anyone can come up with a half decent plot, half decent characters and make a half decent novel and sell it but Taylor has the magic. She has the sparkly pink fairy magic dust people wish they had so they can throw it around and wish to make things better.

I mean I bet when you open Daughter of Smoke and Bone the is probably what you will see: Photobucket
Photobucket

and then you will be feeling: Photobucket
for reading such a good book!

I kid you not, the writing is that good. I kind of want to eat it from how yummy it is!! I think if we took away the amazing writing we would just end up with yet another fantasy story, granted better then others but ubiquitous nonetheless. Lets be honest, at some parts of the book I was confused to the point where I literally had no idea what was going on but all of that is a trick on Taylor’s behalf and everything does clear up and I think the romance was too insta-love and I didn’t understand all the way how it came about, it just happened. Even after the big GASP happens and that should have cleared all doubts about the love, it still didn’t make 100% sense to me and. Also, Akiva’s past and his ‘kind’ didn’t have a solid background explanation for them to make them convincing and believable but in the end these things don’t smother the fact that the book is unique, it's amazing and mesmerizing and you better read it or I will hunt you down with black fairy dust and the results will not be that of the dreamy kind.

You have been warned.

-thank you&come again.

09/20/2011 page 49
11.0% "Yaaay, i met akiva! & he's at the country i was born & raised in. This is meant to be, love at first sight!"
09/21/2011 page 166
40.0% "I'm loving this but I have a gazillion things to do for school, GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!"
09/21/2011 page 235
56.0% "Cannot. Open. My. Eyes. Must. Keep. Reading." 2 comments
09/22/2011 page 273
65.0% "What the fuuuck just happened.......?"
09/22/2011 page 279
66.0% "All cleared uo, I'm not lost anymore lol"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ariana Oh, god.. I am so jealous right now (in a positive way). I have the first 14 chapters from NetGalley, but I will wait to read it all :)
Enjoy it sweetie!

Racquel I was so jealous of everyone who read & when i saw the first 14 chapters on netgalley i almost died from happines BUUUUUT amazon is shipping the HC out early so I'm suppossed to be getting the HC today.. eeeppps!! U should get it from amazon!! & thanks, its really good so far.

Ariana Great to hear that :) Have fun with it!

Cinnamon The LIKE A G6 gif. I approve~ Hahaha:).
And yeah, it was kind of insta-love for me, too. But I tend to gloss over imperfections of my favorite books. I'm kind of a hypocrite ._.

Komal Mikaelson Loved your review!
True :)