Jessica (Books: A true story)'s Reviews > Princess of the Midnight Ball

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

Aug 30, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: kindle, own, ebook-challenge-2011, blog, amazon, 2-stars, content-everyone
Recommended to Jessica by: from BYU Book Festival June 2011
Read in September, 2011

I went into this book expecting a new and interesting take on The Twelve Dancing Princess’ fairy tale. What I got was a re-telling. I didn’t find anything new or original added to the story. That being said, it was still a decent fairy tale re-telling. The narration was a little stiff like I was listening to some old person tell it in a dry, 3rd-person manner. The narration made it hard to care much for the characters. I wasn’t emotionally invested in the story at all. Her writing was good and now that I know this series is strictly a re-telling I will still pick up the second book, Princess of Glass. The main reason I didn’t like this book much was how predictable it was. I knew from chapter 2 what the characters should do and they actually got around to doing it 100 pages later. I walked away from this book feeling like it had so much potential that it didn’t quite live up to. If she had changed the narration so I could get in the character’s heads a little bit and care about them, it would have made a world of difference.

This book is also reviewed on my blog Books: A true story

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Midnight Ball.

09/09/2011 page 54