Erika's Reviews > Carry on the Flame: Destiny's Call

Carry on the Flame by Jodine Turner

Sep 02, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fantasy, fiction, young-adult, review-books-suddenly
Read from August 30 to 31, 2011

I found Jodine Turner’s debut Y.A. paranormal fantasy to be both a compelling read and a fascinating look into the Celtic/Gnostic religion. In Sharay’s world, magic is real and priestesses are given special power from the Goddess of the Sea and Stars. Sharay was meant to be the head priestess but her jealous aunt, at the death of her parents, convinced her that the Goddess wasn’t real. That her visions were no more than hallucinations. Now Sharay has been put into a mental health facility and a strange man has come to save her from the drugs and the black hole that is keeping her from her destiny.

This book includes many elements that I find compelling in a great read. It has deception, a darkness that must be overcome, romance, and most of all hope for a better future. The characters were all unique in their own way. Everyone has their own story, their own point of view, and their own motives for their actions. The plot moves along nicely, and the writing was very well done. I had a hard time putting this book down.

My only thoughts on the young adult aspect of the book is that there is a very detailed sex scene. I would say this book is better off read by an older young adult audience, one that can deal with mature scenes and subject matter.

I recommend this book to both adults and older teens interested in the paranormal genre, especially those who are fascinated by world religions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carry on the Flame.