Kelli's Reviews > Torrent

Torrent by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Aug 30, 11

bookshelves: young-adult

The concept of this book could have been really good. I read this one because, after hating the middle book, I wanted to finish the series as a whole to see how the end turned out. I still think the first book is the strongest of the three. This one is probably just as awkward as the second book, sadly. Time travel is never an easy thing to write about. The language the author puts into her main characters head seems so mom-ish. Its what a mom thinks a teenager thinks like.

One of the major flaws of the series is in the second book. The whole awkwardness with the mom appearing, making Marcello and Gabriella's moments together childish and super awkward. This is 5x intensified with awkwardness with the appearance of the dad. This 'one big happy family' thing in the story is so old, and makes the romantic love seem unbelievable.

I also find it really hard to believe, that every member of the family would be ok with living out the rest of their lives never seeing the present time again, just to satisfy Gabi being able to be with Marcello. The concept is just to 'perfect' at the end. And the selfishness Gabriella eludes is annoying. She doesn't consider any option but staying with Marcello. She gets overly sensitive when her parents start talking about other possibilities. Its just weird.

In the middle of the story, their are glimmers of what this book could have been. The bits when Gabriella is away from Marcello and captured and forced into almost marrying that other guy, it was actually intriguing. Then the family & Marcello comes to 'rescue' her and its all awkward again. It makes me think that at least I know their is a good story hidden somewhere in this book, but it does not come into focus, because it was not executed well.
The dialog is riddled with cliches. I got to eye rolling every time I read a "yeah, this is gonna be good" or "Marcello is the one, this is true love!" or something along the lines of saying "bring it". Yuck.

If the author was going to write a fun, witty, love story--- then Luca should have been the lead. His character was actually enjoyable to read. He had the best lines.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torrent.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alison I couldn't stand Gabi saying things like "peeps" and 'rents". It seemed like the author was trying too hard to sound like a teen.