Dave Lester's Reviews > The 10 Big Lies about America: Combating Destructive Distortions about Our Nation

The 10 Big Lies about America by Michael Medved

M_50x66
I enjoy Michael Medved as a radio host personality. He is not the usual bombast that one may find on the channels. He studied history at Yale and is able to articulate a conversative position by being respective to those who disagree.

In this book, he combats, what he views, as historical lies that have been perpetuated upon American by liberals.

He examines the following topics: Myth: The United States is uniquely guilty for the crime of slavery and based its wealth on stolen African labor.

Medved argues that American only counted for 3% of the global slave trade. Of course, statistically, this may be true but still from the founding of the nation until the civil war, the greatest amount of immigrants that came to the country were from Africa. It is hard to say that America collectively does not share in the guilt of participating in the slave trade.

Myth: The alarming rise of big business hurts the United States and oppresses its people.

Medved argues that corporations give many Americans jobs and cheaper goods. Here he is right but there is a lot of complexity. What about corporations like Walmart? They give people cheap goods...but do they provide good jobs? Of course, one can see his point with companies like Amazon or Microsoft or Apple.

Myth: The Founders intended a secular, not Christian, nation.

Medved argues that America is essentially a Christian nation (an interesting argument for an orthodox Jew). Here I disagree with him. Our founding fathers did talk a lot about religion but were pretty ambigious about how this should be integrated into a nation's life. They desired freedom of religion which is what they wrote about and set off to achieve.

All in all, interesting points from a very conservative view of history. It serves as a thought-provoking rebuke to (what Medved views) as liberal teaching. I just wish there were a lot more complexity here especially when talking about very complicated issues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 10 Big Lies about America.