Julie's Reviews > The Widower's Tale

The Widower's Tale by Julia Glass

Aug 30, 11

I love Julia Glass. I love her because her writing style is so smooth and perceptive that sometimes I forget that I am reading. It feels more like someone is sitting with me and telling me about some really interesting people they know and I get completely sucked into the story and don't want it to end.
In this book, Glass tells us about the tragedy(s) that befell the Darling family at their quaint New England home. Lots of the story is told in a first person narrative by Percy Darling who has spent most of his middle age coming to grips with the loss of his wife and the mother of his two daughters. The chapters not told by Percy deal with other family members and people who are close to Percy because of his decision to let a daycare be run out of his barn. At times the story lines swing wide and there is maybe a bit too much to keep track of. Though ever artful, Glass brings all of the lines back together and they flow out the last chapter. There is no tidy ending just like in real life. But there are lots of comeuppances to compensate for the lack of happily ever afters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Widower's Tale.