FrumpBurger's Reviews > Imperial Bedrooms

Imperial Bedrooms by Bret Easton Ellis

2018196
Aug 30, 11

Read this book today, yessir, and...what can I say? I don't like it much. Not because, as another member so smugly put it, I can't deal with not liking characters in a book, or because it's misanthropic and misogynistic. Nope, the reason I don't like this book is, simply put, because I. Just. Don't. Give. A. Fuck.

I don't give a fuck about the banal characters, the boring ass storyline, the mediocre writing. I don't give a fuck about the trite "Hollywood is empty and everyone is awful" sentiment that seems to be swirling throughout the pages or the douchey looking photo of the author on the back cover. I just don't give a fuck.

Do you give a fuck? Good for you. More power to you. Maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough for this sort of novel. Maybe it's because I didn't read its prequel and am in no way invested in the story of these characters. Maybe it's because I can't see the deeper meaning of what seems to me like a superficial plot that's just perfect to be made into a shitty movie with overpaid, under-skilled actors.

Or maybe it just isn't that good.

It doesn't contain any hidden truth about human nature. It's just fucking boring.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imperial Bedrooms.