Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)'s Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Jan 13, 12

bookshelves: favorites, love-the-audio, read-more-than-once
Recommended for: Anyone who loves magic
Read from September 19 to 28, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

[revised after listening to the audio January 2012] What a difficult book to review. Why? Because I have never read anything remotely like it before. It reminded me of the TV show LOST. I was literally lost most of the time, but the characters drew me into their magical unpredictable and strange world so that I wanted to stay there.

The Circus that appeared seemingly out of nowhere with no advance notice appeared in the morning in some place in the world completely set up with it's tents of black and white with no color. The sign says it opens at nightfall and closes at dawn. Each tent has it's own act and the tents and paths are all circular and winding throughout the grounds. The acts are just "almost" like real magic - illusion almost to the point that there can be no explanation....almost. But of course that is the plan - magic but not so open that it can't be explained...somehow. Or it is so wonderful no one cares.

This is the story of Celia and Marco, both chosen as children by two mysterious men, one Celia's father, to play a game. But the game's rules are never explained nor is how the winner will be chosen. Neither knows for some time who their opponent is even after the game begins with the circus as a sort of gameboard. Both Celia and Marco have great magical powers and have been trained well by their sponsors. This is a love story among other things. I loved the Murray twins who are born in the circus and who are 16 by the end of the book. Poppet can at time see into the future and her brother Widget can read the past when he looks at people. I am unsure of the part that Bailey is to play in this story, but he is a boy who visits the circus and becomes friends with the twins. His is a destiny with the circus but for what reason? There are other characters in this book, and as it goes along it is at first difficult to decide which ones are really players in the story and which are just side characters. Some are very important, some are not. Some live. Some die. In the end they are all important because this illusive "game" has involved them all in one way or another.

One must believe in magic and enjoy the details of magical places to really love this book. The illusions that take place in some of the tents are wonderful and are written as if you are walking through them. The REAL story is complex and I think a re-read of this book would perhaps be more fun than the first time through. I am revising this review after listening to the audio which allowed me to understand the story so much more. Now I am totally entranced by it. Once again I realize the descriptions of the often magical surroundings are just so real you can see, feel, and taste them. Amazing writing. I feel so gradually pulled into Marco and Celia's stories that I didn't realize how much I cared until they finally figured out what the end result of the game that has gone on for over a decade has to be.

The book itself physically adds to the story. It is beautiful, black and white with a touch of red which has meaning in the story. The inside of the covers are black and white striped and a few pages through the book are black with a white design. It all adds to the "feel" of the story. Magical! Nice to read something so DIFFERENT!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

09/21/2011 page 104
27.0% "Very interesting. Have no idea where it is heading."

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Great review Terry! I DO want to read it... and will soon! Sounds very intriguing. :)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) Intriguing is an accurate word.

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Although... I hate a book that makes me have to organize everything to 'get it'... so intrigue will have to get me through it! lol!

Donna Antaramian I am about 40% through listening to Night Circus .. The man who is narrating has an old voice .. I am not really enjoying it AT ALL. Reminds me of Wicked. I will finish the listen but it really is not my type of book.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I read the book first and then listened to the audio. I love this book, but I can see it is not for everyone. The audio just let me pick up on details I missed in the read and although the reader wasn't the best I've heard,he really didn't bother me.

Donna Antaramian Terri - I am glad I did not start reading this book, I would never finish it. I respect that there are tons of people that just love this book .. it just is not my type of book .. it is just too wierd for me.

message 5: by Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) (last edited Feb 07, 2012 05:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) I do agree... this isn't for everyone. It's sort of "out there"... but I guess, I'm out there... lol!

I'm halfway through... it's definitely unlike anything I've read but I'm liking it so far. Celia has finally figured out who her opponent is... let the good stuff REALLY begin now! ;)

Donna Antaramian Have you read WICKED? You might like that than.

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Wicked by Nancy Holder? No...not yet! So many books... too little time! :P

Donna Antaramian not that WICKED

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire

Book was odd but I loved theplay

message 1: by Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) (last edited Feb 07, 2012 06:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) I'll look into it - thanks!