Jess's Reviews > The Adoration of Jenna Fox

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

Sep 10, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, young-adult, sci-fi
Read from August 28 to September 09, 2011

When I heard there is a new sequel to this, I picked up the audio version for a re-read to refresh my memory. It wasn't quite as suspenseful the second time around, but you do get the satisfaction of noticing the clues that Pearson gives you. The audio reading is well-done - it doesn't call attention to itself but is smooth and suited to the story. Here's what I had to say the first time I read it:

This is a page-turner. I was absolutely hooked by the premise, because it could have gone so many different directions from the first chapter. Jenna is 17 and has just woken up from a coma. She doesn't remember anything. You've got an enigmatic character - she doesn't know who she is or who she wants to be. All the supporting characters are acting strangely, in one way or another. There's a mystery to solve, but it's a mystery of the mind - and of who we are and what defines us. Plus a whole slew of ethical dilemmas. I couldn't put it down, even after the first big reveal. Basically, I'm having trouble finding fault with it. It's thoughtful AND gripping all at the same time - what more do you want?

Jenna is 17, but I think it could 'read' much younger, and readers of different ages would take something different away from the story, and the questions it raises.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adoration of Jenna Fox.