Gem's Reviews > Imaginary Girls

Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

Dec 30, 13

bookshelves: read2011, yabooks, adultfiction
Read in June, 2011

This is a very eerie novel, and for several chapters I couldn’t figure out if the explanations of the events in this novel were going to be for supernatural reasons or the “surprise, one of the main characters isn’t real!” twist (closely related to the “surprise, the main character is hallucinating everything!” twist). I won’t reveal what actually happens, but I was not really expecting such a spooky novel. It’s not actually scary, but it’s certainly eerie and I liked the atmosphere that the author has set up.

The characters of Ruby and Chloe have a very old-timey small town feel to them, reminiscent of other character studies that normally take place in rural settings. They felt unreal at some points, especially Ruby, but it added to the strange dreamlike quality that was sometimes present in the novel. The entire story made me feel like I was waiting for that moment of waking up, like I know something isn’t quite right but I won’t figure out what it is until it decides to show itself.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imaginary Girls.