Jim's Reviews > Memorize the Faith! (and Most Anything Else): Using the Methods of the Great Catholic Medieval Memory Masters

Memorize the Faith! (and Most Anything Else) by Kevin Vost

198340
Jan 20, 13

Read in August, 2011 — I own a copy

Nice, very specific book on mnemotechnics and Catholic religious education. Kevin Vost presents the art of memory in a catechetical context. The art of memory consists not of "drill-and-kill" rote repetition, but rather, of techniques of lively creativity and vivid imagination. For anyone interested in opening his mind and allowing it to reflect on the ideas, beliefs, experiences, and reflections of those who came before us, as well as those who are with us, holding the world and making it vivid in our mind's eye, this is book is a good resource.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memorize the Faith! (and Most Anything Else).

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim This is book showed me effective techniques for memorization. It focuses on a technique various called "method of loci," "memory walk," or "memory palace." It engages the visual imagination to use or create physical places in which to imagine mnemonic helps for a given task. This is in the context of Catholic catechesis and apologetics, but it can be used in many other fields. I never knew that these techniques were well known and documented in ancient and medieval times. There's plenty of pointers to other resources for further work and techniques. I found the techniques immediately useful and effective.