Woo's Reviews > Try Not to Breathe

Try Not to Breathe by Jennifer R.  Hubbard

Feb 19, 2012

bookshelves: thought-provoking, the-dark-side
Read on February 18, 2012

4.5 stars Ah, this really got under my skin, but it didn't make me cry. I'm still trying to figure that out (I think that I like that I didn't cry. I think that Hubbard's a good writer). Why was there romance? It was nice, but I'd like to think that everything could've been done without it.

It's a touchy subject. You might love it, you might hate it, or you might not even care. I didn't hate it or not care about it, sure, but I'm not sure that I loved it either. It left me feeling hopeless and empty, and I don't think that that was the intended result. It technically left off on a promising note... You know Beethoven's symphonies? (Of course you do, and if you haven't, you've been living under a rock for your entire life.) He always makes it sound like everything is about to end, but then there's always an even more dramatic ending. Sometimes, I want to tell him to just end the stupid thing already -- the unresolved-resolved feeling gets old pretty fast, and the constant anticipation is draining. However annoying those never-ending endings are, though, at least Beethoven ends stuff properly. This story had an unresolved ending -- there was that note leading to the final chord, but no final chord. This made me feel weird inside. Is that a good or bad thing?

I had a song playing on repeat in the background, but I didn't realize that it was until now. Maybe that says something?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Try Not to Breathe.