Sophie Harman's Reviews > The Witches

The Witches by Roald Dahl

Aug 30, 2011

Read in August, 2011

The Witches by Roald Dahl

This was one of my favourite Roald Dahl books when I was a child, reading this brought back many memories. The Witches is ‘not a fairy-tale’ but a book about real witches! Luke is a young boy who lives with his Grandmother after his parents died in a car accident. Witches hate children, so Luke’s Grandmother teaches him how to recognise a real witch. Luke and his Grandmother go to stay at a Grand Hotel in England, where he notices a witch. Luke is sure the witch is up to something and soon discovers the grand high witch turning a child into a mouse with her potion. Unfortunately, Luke is also caught by the witch and is turned into a mouse too, but with the help of his Grandmother, they devise a plan to destroy all the witches in the world!
Roald Dahl’s writing style is descriptive, imaginative and defiantly catches the reader’s attention. The illustration’s throughout the book complimented the text beautifully and helped guide the reader through the story. I really enjoyed reading this book and would highly recommend it to year groups in KS2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witches.