Lily's Reviews > Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

F 50x66
Aug 30, 2011

Read in August, 2011

When I first picked up this book, I had no clue what to expect. Often I have put down older books, not because of lack of interest, but because of archaic language and mannerisms. Once I started reading, I was very happy to see this was not the case. While there were a few words and phrases I did need to look up, 20,000 Leagues didn't distract from the story with old timey syntax. This makes it a good read for teens as well as adults.

Jules Verne weaves an extraordinary tale of life below the waves, filled with exotic creatures and suspense. I had a hard time putting this book down, that's for sure. I felt as if I was traveling along with the characters through their adventures. Jules Verne was very descriptive, almost to a fault, and I could easily visualize the ocean flora and fauna as if I was right there. While some creatures portrayed in this novel are totally fictional, others still swim today.

20,000 Leagues is a book that all Science Fiction fans will enjoy. It takes you back in time, and makes you wonder what really is lurking in the depths. While the ending felt rushed, I still was on the edge of my seat until the very last word. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is a classic, and I believe it will remain so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.