StorySeekers's Reviews > This is Not a Test

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

Jul 15, 12

bookshelves: 01-to-06-2012, galley, emilia-shelf
Read from February 12 to March 17, 2012

I took me awhile to come up with a review for this book. When I first read it, I was utterly speechless. I couldn’t think straight when it came to writing the review. So I waited awhile and read it again. Now, I have some thoughts.

Okay I do read a lot of dystopian and science fiction novels, because that was the genre I choose to read. I usually try to stay away from zombie novels because I usually have nightmares when I see zombie movies and thought it might be the same if I read zombie books.

What I am most worried about in zombie books is survival. I always get scared that the people I am reading about, or watching, are not going to make it to the end. These are people I connected with, in about 300 or more pages, and I definitely don’t want them to die. I definitely don’t want them to die, then come back and kill off another character. That is way too much!

This book came to me with high recommendations. I was scared to read it but lay down and took it like a woman, of course during daylight hours.

I can honestly say I connected with Sloane through so many levels. I thought I was going to be able to connect with her because she was thinking about death constantly. I know it zombies and that’s what they do, but I wanted to hear, “Okay, we can do this. We are going to make it. We are going to live.” That’s what I wanted to hear from her. We get that mostly from the other characters.

There are deaths in this novel and like I said before, I usually don’t like connecting with a character then seeing them die. It hurts too much. Some of the characters though, I got teary eyed and got over it. Not in a way where I’m like, “Eh, they dead, get over it.”. For me it was more like this, “Why!?” and “I will never forget you!”.

By the middle and towards the ending, I started to understand Sloane. She takes you through emotional ride and I could not leave her story. This is more than a zombie book. I find out Courtney Summers is a contemporary writer and you can see that writing style in this novel. If you are a big fan of her other novels, you will love this one. If you want a heartbreaking story, be prepared to have some tissues and a cuddle buddy with you.

-Emilia
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This is Not a Test.

Disincentive/Feta Sounds perfect! I love contemporary writing style and with zombies.... Yay!