Sarah's Reviews > Broken for You

Sep 25, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended for: adults
Read from August 27 to September 10, 2011, read count: 1

This story is about an elderly lady named Margaret who, once she learns that she has a brain tumor, decides to take in a boarder in her mansion (where she lives alone). After interviewing a few people, she settles on Wanda, a young woman who has traveled across the United States looking for the boyfriend who left her.

Wanda finds it strange that Margaret is able to rattle off the names of her precious figurines, dishes, and more with such detachment; Margaret finds it strange that Wanda is so close-lipped about her childhood.

Margaret realizes that she enjoys having people besides herself in her home so much, she decides to take in more boarders. All of these people, in their own special ways, teach Margaret how to live again--even as she is dying from the tumor.

This was a pretty good story; the only thing I didn't like was how the point of view would shift away from the characters after getting to know them--and then the point of view barely returned to him or her. I also got the feeling that I'd read parts of it before, which kept bugging me...so I don't know if I had read something else that had similar parts or what. All in all, a good story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken for You.