Trisha Wolfe's Reviews > Misfit

Misfit by Jon Skovron

Aug 30, 11

I really didn’t think I’d enjoy this book as much as I did. It sounded very young in the summary, and from some reviews, I thought that maybe it wouldn’t have much romance. Though there is sparse romance between Jael and Rob, it’s more getting to know each other, and learning to trust for Jael. I really liked where their relationship is going. And although Rob was a bit of a weird mix, I admit when I was in HS, I wasn’t a stereotype. I had a lot of odd layers. And so does he, being some kind of Science genius and a clueless skater boy. But I found him very endearing.

Jael was easy enough for me to relate to. Although I prefer first person narrative, I understand why the author used third. We’re able to see a lot of backstory about her parents, and who Jael is. I usually don’t like a lot of info, or input from parents in my YA, but I really enjoyed it in this book. It felt like I was reading two stories. And her father and mother were really kick butt back in the day. It helped that I got to know who her father was, and that I understood why he was the way he was.

The mythology is very dark. But it’s done in a way that’s not too deep or evil feeling. With the jokes and fun relationship with her and her demon uncle, and the her humorous outlook on herself, Jael’s story was really entertaining. And I love to read about different kinds of mythology and Biblical stuff. It’s just cool. So I loved all the info the author weaved throughout the story, while combing it with an original take on demons, and how the realms of Earth and Hell work. It was interesting, and a fun read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Misfit.