StorySeekers's Reviews > Halflings

Aug 30, 2011

bookshelves: 01-to-06-2012, ivy-shelf, galley, 2012-dac
Read in March, 2012

Gathering my thoughts together! Ivy

I have been trying to read this book for so long. I keep promising myself that I would finish it each month but I never get to it. I would read a couple of pages then I would get busy with something else and never get back to it. This happened a lot in the past three months. Wow three months have already passed? How crazy is that!?

It’s not that it’s a bad book or I wasn’t interested. I’d just didn’t have the time to sit down and read it. This book was actually very interesting. It was my first angel book so I’m not the most experienced angel book reader and don’t really know what’s out there. To me, this angel book came out with an image of what I thought angels act like and look like. And to me, I thought the author stick pretty close to Biblical references. It made the story more believable.

Nikki Youngblood was awesome character. She’s artistic, great personality, tough exterior, and well she rides a freaking motorcycle! Awesome! Unlike some other book characters, I felt Nikki had real emotions. At first, I didn’t think she was all that bada**. In the beginning she kept on fainting so, it was a little hard for me to think she was a strong gal. But she gets better as the story continues, and there are some intense action scenes.

Then there are the Halflings. I was little confused on what a Halfling was because well, hello, I never read an angel book before. I pictured some weird images in my head and none came out to what these guys actually look like, and they are HOT. Halflings are half-human and half-angel. They seemed to be a really lonely group, since they really don’t belong anywhere.

The two Halflings we really get to know is Mace and Raven. Will is their guardian and an angel, who gets heavenly messages on what his group is supposed to do next. There is also a younger Halfling named Vine, and to me was actually the cutest guy ever. But that’s just me. Anyways, Mace and Raven are our love triangle for Nikki. They’re hot, confused, protective, and you know all of that, but the thing that really had me feeling for them was… they can’t fall in love with humans or they will be damned to hell.

Mace is all about order and following the rules, so he is trying desperately not to break them. Raven on the other hand is not afraid to break them since he knows it doesn’t really matter. Since the Halflings don’t really belong anywhere, Raven doesn’t believe they will end up in heaven if they follow the rules. They’re outcast, and it will remain that way even when they die. That’s what he’s thinking about.

Now I do go for bad boys because well there are just more fun to read about. So I am Team Raven on this one. However, I do feel Raven sees Nikki for who she really is. They might be really different and all, but like everyone says, opposites attract.

The book has a lot of point of view changes and it’s not switching every chapter but like every few pages. It is not hard to get into it and it makes the book more exciting. You get to know the Halflings point of view on things more better.

The ending was really good, leaving some mystery on what’s going to happen next. I’m excited and happy it’s coming out in September.

-Ivy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halflings.

01/30/2012 page 45