Kristen's Reviews > Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife: Pride and Prejudice Continues

Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife by Linda Berdoll

Apr 17, 08

bookshelves: romance

I stole this review from someone else, because it perfectly states what I thought:

" SO BAD. This is just smutty fanfiction that someone was able to get published. Sex (which was done very stupidly) is on every other page and the characters have been given new, and less flattering backgrounds. Mr. Darcy is a "well endowed" sex god, who has been "spreading his love" around since he was 16. Elizabeth, while still a virgin, was ready to give it up to Darcy before marriage, and would have, if not for an interruption. I just felt like I was growing to dislike these characters who I have always held in such regard. Austen's characters deserve so much better than this.

The author seems to have spent some time trying to understand the vocabulary of Austen's time and then dumped every word she knew into every other sentence. Austen's books flow, this book stumbles in vocab overload.

This book starts with a slam on Austen from Bronte. While it might be true, I can think of better ways to honor such a literary goddess than by "fixing" her flaws. And as a note to the author, if I was pompous enough to try to fix Austen's flaws, I might have tried to write something a little better than flowery smut. It's called a plot, prechance thou shall persuse its meaning.

Don't read this book. I would have given it zero stars, but then someone might have taken that as a "no rating" and been swindled into reading it...." Cori from Glenview, IL

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife.