Lady Jaye's Reviews > If I Die

If I Die by Rachel Vincent

This is not going to end well.

You have to hand it to Rachel Vincent. She can write fabulously. I ran the gamut of emotions reading this book - from exasperation, annoyance, anger, foreboding, anticipation, triumph, sadness, defeat, expectancy, to disappointment - and it has left me exhausted. So I can't NOT give this one five stars.

This is probably the best book in the series. The story was well-told and held my attention from beginning to end. I love how consistent the rules of Ms. Vincent's world are. (view spoiler)

I have never been a fan of Nash - right from the very beginning, I thought him shallow, rude, arrogant, spoiled and selfish, egotistical, idiotic, hypocritical, horrible, unpleasant; I see nothing redeemable in him. He had never done anything without selfish intent. Even his reactions to Kaylee (view spoiler) proved me right. There was one tiny moment where I felt sympathy for him, and then he had to make a string of bad decisions that just show how selfish, uncaring, and self-centered he is. I will NEVER be TEAM NASH or support anything he does because he is such a horrible character. But even he didn't deserve this, this...triangle. Having your girlfriend break u with you because of your (view spoiler)brother is just..incestuous and horrible. Ugh! I hate Nash!

Kaylee. In this book, she grew up. Finally. I guess news of your own very imminent death does that to a person. Rachel Vincent did a fantastic job of showing Kaylee's maturity here, and I was surprised to find myself rooting for her in this one.

Tod was a shining star in this one, the foil to his horrible brother. Of course he has his flaws, and his selfish motives, but he genuinely cares about his family and his friends, genuinely loves them, and genuinely wants to see them happy. Not perfect, but his heart is truly in the right place. Basically a decent human being and then some. But still, not like this. Tod! What were you thinking?!

Sabine is a witch with a capital B. Amoral. Just as horrible as Nash, and those two deserve each other.

Dammit Tod, Dammit Kaylee!!! This isn't going to end well.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Die.

12/12/2011 page 0
0.0% "Kaylee, Nash, Sabine, Emma....why am I doing this again?"
12/17/2011 page 48
14.0% "No. Kaylee. DON'T DO IT!!! Where is Tod to interrupt things when you need him?"
12/17/2011 page 49
14.0% "NOW you appear, Tod! When the danger has passed. Dagnabbit, reaper, what's is wrong with you!"
12/17/2011
18.0% "Kaylee. WHY ON EARTH do you think this is a good idea?"
12/17/2011 page 155
44.0% "You are leaving her IN the mental institution? This can't be good."
12/17/2011 page 162
46.0% "I'd though him shallow, rude, arrogant, spoiled and selfish. But he'd been my boyfriend's best friend. My point exactly. Show me your friend, and I'll show you your character. That is Nash's friend."
12/17/2011
50.0% "No no no, this is going all wrong. Love triangles between brothers is just incestuous and not cool at all. Not cool :("
12/17/2011
55.0% "WHY is Tod acting like an idiot?! YOu KNOW you shouldn't be making deals with Avari. Come on son?! @#&%!"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Patricia BookExhibitionism Yees!

message 2: by Lady Jaye (last edited Dec 17, 2011 02:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jaye Patty, Why, oh why did Rachel Vincent do this?