N-rose's Reviews > The Whites of Their Eyes: The Tea Party's Revolution and the Battle over American History

The Whites of Their Eyes by Jill Lepore

Sep 13, 11

Read in August, 2011

If you're looking for a historian's tome, perhaps this isn't quite it. Lepore's book does not read rigidly/ academically.

For me, that is a plus. I enjoyed her first-hand take on the Tea Party through events/ rallies, while making comparisons between popularly parroted Tea Party claims and Revolution-era correspondece and records, and also drawing in the tumultuous 170s and the bicentennial celebrations. There are interesting contrasts made; and for me, whenever I hear folks hearkening back to the olden days, I remember that the olden days were also filled with disrespect for people, racism, slavery, poverty, insanity, and more; and that from the beginning, the Constitution was supposed to be a basic, changeable document.

Good read. Definitely left-leaning, if you're concerned about that sort of thing, but Jill Lepore has very good insights.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whites of Their Eyes.