Shira Anthony's Reviews > The Invisible Chains - Part 3: Bonds of Blood

The Invisible Chains - Part 3 by Andrew Ashling

Sep 06, 11

bookshelves: alternate-universe, brothers, captor-captive, fantasy, m-m-slash, series, soldiers
Read from August 30 to September 01, 2011

This, the third installment of the "Invisible Chains" trilogy, was in my opinion the best, with the first a close second. Mr. Ashling masterfully laid out the climax of the series: the battle for the Northern Marches and the resolution of the troubled relationship between the two princes, Anaxantis and Ehandar. In spite of my lingering frustration with the lack of "cleanup" editing (typos abound), by the end I didn't care all that much. This is a testament to Mr. Ashling's unique voice and his knack for creating characters that are wonderfully flawed and irresistible.

MILD SPOILERS FOLLOW:(view spoiler)

I do hope that Mr. Ashling will consider a re-edit of these books, if only to do justice to the intelligence and strength of the writing. The same is true for another point that has been discussed in some of the reviews: use of modern language in the stories. I realize now that the modern language only bothered me when it crept into the narrative itself. Since most of the narrative is in a more formal voice, this "ragged edge" could also be taken care of in a re-edit. With these two caveats, I'd have given the entire series a 5-star.

In spite of the minor blemishes, Mr. Ashling delivers a brilliantly executed story that I will probably reread at some point. Five stars for the outstanding story-telling and character development, as well as the intricate and intelligent plotting throughout.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Chains - Part 3.

Quotes Shira Liked

Andrew Ashling
“I will give you a few guarantees of my own, Mukthar. I guarantee that before the sun sets, even if you win, even if my cold, dead body is lying on the field, you will rue the day you ever set foot in the Plains. For every inch you advance I'll exact gallons of Mukthar blood. I guarantee that there will be not one family of the Bear Mukthars or they will mourn at least one of theirs. I guarantee that even if you are triumphant the fruits of victory will taste like dust in your mouth. I guarantee that if you fail to kill me today, you will meet me again. You will meet me at the Ximerionian border. You will meet me at every city, town, village, and hamlet. You will meet me on every Amirathan crossroad, on every hill. I will fight you with every sword at my command, with every arrow, with every dagger. I will fight you with pitchforks. I will fight you with the very rocks of the land you try to conquer. I will never, never, never give up.

~Anaxantis, before the Battle of the Zinchara (May 29th, 1453 aed)
Andrew Ashling, The Invisible Chains - Part 3: Bonds of Blood

09/01/2011
78.0% "Good lord! I always seem to be on the edge of my seat reading Andrew Ashling! I'm almost afraid to see how it all works out... *covers eyes and waits for train wreck*"