Patricia Kemp Blackmon's Reviews > The Doctor's Lady

The Doctor's Lady by Jody Hedlund

Nov 08, 11

bookshelves: bethany-house-review-copy, favorites
Read from October 05 to 08, 2011 — I own a copy

In Angelica, New York, 1836, Priscilla White is anxiously awaiting for her assignment as a missionary in India. As she sits with her family in the sanctuary Dr. Eli Ernest is escorted by two young Indian
males. Dr. Eli is there to speak to the congregation on behalf of the Board of Missions to ask for support to set up a mission for the Nez Perce Indians in the Oregon Country. But in order to be funded the Board requires that any male or female missionary is to be married. Which Dr. Eli Ernest is not.
Priscilla is coerced by her family and friends that she would be the perfect choice for his help-mate. This would mean giving up her desire to go to India as a missionary. Besides Dr. Eli and Priscilla are not sure and so they agree to a marriage of convenience.
The treak across country is a long and dangerous trip in wagons. Dr. Eli doubts Priscilla has the fortitude for the trip. But Priscilla is determined to prove him wrong. They both feel lead by the Spirit to be missionaries.
The author paints an amazing picture of their travels west. Making a trip west in wagons extremely dangerous and many people lost there lives along the way. I had a hard time putting this book down.
I tried to think of something I did not like about the book but I could not think of anything that I would change.

I recommend this book.

My rating for this book is 5 out of 5.

Disclosure:
I received a copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for review. I was in no way compensated for my opinion. This is my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doctor's Lady.

10/07/2011 page 205