Maia's Reviews > My Two Worlds

My Two Worlds by Sergio Chejfec

Aug 30, 11

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, argentina, world-lit
Read in August, 2011

I decided to read this strange, melancholic little book both in Spanish and in the English translation (which was good, though definitely not close to great--it's so hard to translate Arg Spanish!) after a recommendation, and it proved a good idea. I read both almost simultaneously, as I used to do with Simone de B's books, and it made the flights of fancy transitions easier to 'get'--though I suspect that this would be easier still for someone with a much better command of Spanish who'd read it only in Spanish.

What is it about? Nothing, really, and everything--very much a 'Being and Nothingness' allegory, a fluid stream-of-consciousness a la existential mode which nonetheless draws us beyond and into the modern world via its successive emotional/psychological analysis of the material world while we're 'deep in thought'. That, the loss one experiences from the physical world while in a 'dream world' of thoughts and sensations, is the strongest part of the work, which I hesitate to call a novel. This is why, pretty much, I can't give it more than 3 stars: it really is NOT a novel and, for me, loses steam throughout precisely because of that.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Two Worlds.