Lee's Reviews > Woken Furies

Nov 30, 11

bookshelves: fiction, science-fiction
Read from October 13 to November 30, 2011

** spoiler alert ** First, the things I thought were well done
1) Slick, terrific prologue. Sets the stage for fireworks to come.
2) Some great concepts. The decom idea is fantastic (Jurassic Park for war machines), or battling with your younger self.

I wanted to like this book, having read altered carbon and its sequel. But it falls flat on characterization, and I even prefer action to characterization in my novels. He spends 100 pages developing a core group of characters only to have them go poof with nothing more than a cursory one-liner from another character about their fates. The main story motivations for the protagonist like why he wants revenge on the church, or why he becomes angry with the neo-Quellists both turn on two barely characterized individuals (Sarah and Isa). Why are they so important? Here was material for gripping reading, but he only spends 1-2 paragraphs on each, completely out of proportion to how much impact they have on the protagonists actions. Midway through the book, yet another core group of characters get introduced. Do I care at this point? Will they suffer the same one-line fate as the first group? Really, they exist simply as props. Even the antagonists are simply not characterized. There are almost no immediate scenes with them.

Even the main attraction, the battle with his younger self is wasted. Again, this would seem to be material for intense dialog and action. Instead they trade a few barbed quips with each other at the few points when they actually do meet, hardly the stuff of drama.

There are other problems, like too much authorial intrusion to provide social commentary. I wouldn't mind if there was a gripping story, but without one I found myself skipping swaths of text to get back to the main thread.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Woken Furies.

10/13/2011 "Part One, This Is Who You Are"
10/15/2011
11.0% "Chapter Five"
10/22/2011
18.0% "Part Two, This Is Someone Else"
10/29/2011
40.0% "Part Three That Was A While Ago"
11/21/2011
58.0% "Part Four, This Is All That Matters, Chapter 28"
11/25/2011
77.0% "Part 5, This Is The Storm To Come, Chapter 38"