Layla 's Reviews > Gunmetal Magic

Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

Aug 15, 12

bookshelves: favorite-books, author-ilona-andrews, genre-paranormal-fantasy-urban-sf, part-of-a-series, rating-5-stars, reviewed, favourites-of-2012
Recommended to Layla by: My genius mind
Recommended for: Anyone (who read the series first)
Read in July, 2012

My rating: 5/5 stars
First line:"Thud! My head hit the sidewalk. Candy jerked me up by my hair and slammed my face into the asphalt."
Favourite quote:"For the first time in my twenty-eight years I was truly living. I wanted to love and to be loved in return. I wanted happiness, and family, and children. I wanted a long life and I wanted Raphael to live it with me."
Song of choice: Titanium by Sia

Wow. Just wow. I'm still reeling from the shock of reading this amazing, gorgeous book. It was that good. The Ilona Andrews team sure knows how to write books to my taste. I'm thanking God that I found them so quickly and that I wasn't that dumb to brush it off after seeing the circusy cover of Magic Bites.

Andrea Nash is facing difficulties in her life. She's in a tough place. The Order, her "family" rejectes her after finding out that she is a shapeshifter and they "retire" (which is a nice word for kicking her out) her citing PTSD and other mental issues. Her love life isn't going that great either since Raphael Medrano, her on again/ off again lover doesn't want her anymore and he finds himself a human fiancee. Life sucks for Andrea. Luckly, her best friend Kate Daniels offers her a job at Cutting Edge, her private firm. A case comes in and Andrea has to figure things out: she has to work with Raphael, sort things out with her past and claim her place in the shapeshifter world.

When I first found out that after Magic Slays the Ilona Andrews team was planning a book for Andrea, I was a bit surprised and let's just say it, disappointed. I didn't want to abandon the new found heaven of Kate Daniels and Curran but I was a bit curious as to how things were going to mend between Andrea and Raphael. I already knew that they were separated but after reading the spoilery scene in which Raphael brought his human honey to Andrea's office, I was hooked. Line and sinker, included.

While I was reading the book, I got this feeling that Andrea's voice was very different from Kate's. Even though they both have enough snark to make me die of laughter, they are very different from each other. While Kate tends to be chaotic and does everything based on instinct, Andrea is more reserved and technical. She is focused and she loves structure and order. She plans ahead and the only time when she is impulsive is when she is with Raphael. She is one tough woman that I truthfully admire. I'm not ashamed to say that I cried while reading about her heartbreaking past. One scene in particular tugged my heartstrings :(view spoiler) I love the fact that she didn't become a victim and didn't cower from life's hardships. UF auhors (and I'm not talking about you, Nalini Singh!), take notes! This is the type of heroines that sane people want to read about.

"Every bone in my body had been broken by shapeshifters before I was ten years old. I’ve been stabbed, punched, kicked, whipped, and set on fire. I’ve watched my mother being beaten to a bloody pulp repeatedly and with vicious glee."

Her relationship with Rapahel is complicated. So complicated I wanted to slap them both and yell at them to stop ruining it and do something good about it. One step ahead, two steps back. They frustrated the hell out of me. They both screwed up, from my point of view. I saw some responses from the fans (after Andrews posted the spoilery office scene) in which they repudiate Raphael completely and that he's a douchebag, a jerk, an asshole. I'm not saying that what he did was right but give this guy some credit.

“You left me,” Raphael said. “No explanation. We had a fight, then we all went to battle Erra, and after she set all of us on fire you disappeared. I thought you were dead. I went to every hospital. I sat in waiting rooms. Every time they would bring in a new charred body, I’d stop breathing because I thought it might be you under all that crusted meat. And what do I get after all that? A note in the mail. Five days later. Five fucking days later, Andrea! ‘Don’t look for me, I have to do something for the Order, I will be back soon.’ A fucking note. No explanation, nothing. You dismissed me from your life and went on your crusade. Now, weeks later, you suddenly decide to call me, like I’m just some mutt who will always be waiting for you.”

I swear, this must be the first time when I'm protecting a male character. But he deserves my defense. Andrea isn't some victim, she knew what she was doing and what would happen to her relationship with Raphael. Sure, what he did was petty and I wanted to skin him alive for making her pain echo mine but I understood his motivation. The fact that he groveled for her forgiveness and tried to make things better between them made me like him even more. But then again, when have I ever disliked an Ilona Andrews hero?

Fortunately for KD fans, she and Curran make their appearances. God, I can't describe in words how much I worship love this couple. They truly are the perfect couple, there can't be anyone else for either Kate or Curran. Just perfect. Trust me, I see what I'm writing and I can't believe my eyes the fact that I'm gushing like a lovesick idiot doesn't do wonders for my ego. But how can you not love this?

Curran and Kate stood by the door.
“I can’t believe you decided to come down here and check on me,” she said.
“The guy once handed you a fan and told you to fan yourself if the sight of his naked torso was too much.”
“That was like a year ago. Will you let it go already?”
“No.” Curran grabbed her and pulled her to him, kissing her. “Never.”
She kissed him back and smiled.
Awww. Kate and the Beast Lord sitting in a tree…

Roman and Ascanio were wonderful additions to the book. Roman is such an intriguing character, I enjoyed him a lot. His snark, his charm, everything. I hope we'll find out more about him soon and who knows? maybe he'll find himself a girl.
While I was in doubts about Ascanio after Magic Slays, now I am 95% sure that he'll grow up being a future version of Raphael. The charm, the smothness fit him to a T. And I love that the only girl he can compete with, is Julie. I am 100% sure that these two are going to be together. Their lovely exchange of “Snitch”, “Crybaby”, “Harpy”, “Pussy”,“Bitch” confirmed my suspicions. These two are the future Kate/Curran or Andrea/Raphael.

I loved this book. Ilona Andrews, I bow my head in front of your genius.

11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gunmetal Magic.

Quotes Layla Liked

“Kate smirked.
"What?"
"Your horse looks pink."
"So?"
"If you paste some stars on her butt you'll be riding My Little Pony."
"Bugger off." I patted the mare's neck. "Don't listen to her, Sugar. You are the cutest horsey ever. The correct name for her color is strawberry roan, by the way."
"Strawberry Shortcake, more like it. Does Strawberry Shortcake know you stole her horse? She will be berry, berry angry with you."
I looked at her from under half-lowered eyelids. "I can shoot you right here, on this road, and nobody will ever find your body.”

Ilona Andrews
“Raphael turned me over and looked at me, his face close to mine. "You and I will never be done.You're my mate."
He kissed the corner of my mouth. I almost cried.
"I stopped sleeping since you left," he said "I'll sleep for a couple of hours, wake up, you're not there." I closed my eyes.
"I need an answer, Andrea," he said.
"An answer?"
"Mate. Yes or no."
"Do you need to ask?" I whispered. "You're my mate.”

Ilona Andrews
“My tablecloth was missing in action and long, jagged scratches covered the table's surface.The scratches looked suspiciously like letters. I climbed on a chair and looked at it from above. MINE. Oh, that's great. Fantastic. So mature. Perhaps he would pull my pigtails next or stick a tack on my seat.”

Ilona Andrews
“You will not pass!” Roman thundered.
Great. Now he had decided he was Gandalf.”

Ilona Andrews
“The rage of the Beast Lord was a terrible thing to behold. Some people stormed, some punched things, but Curran slipped into this icy, bone-chilling calm. His face hardened into a flat mask, and his eyes turned into a molten inferno of pure gold. If you looked at it for longer than two seconds, your muscles locked, your knees shook, and you had to fight to keep from cringing. It was easier to look at the floor,
but I didn’t. Besides, he wasn’t angry with me. He wasn’t even angry with Kate. He was angry with Anapa. I had no doubt that if he could’ve gotten a hold of the god at that moment, he would’ve broken him in half.
“It’s only ribs,” Kate told him. “And they’re not even broken. They are fractured.”
“And the hip,” Doolittle said. “And the knee.”
There you go. Don’t expect mercy from a honeybadger.
“How long do you need to keep her?” Curran looked to Doolittle.
“She can go to her quarters, provided she doesn’t leave them,” Doolittle said. “I can’t do anything else with the magic down. She must stay down until I can patch her up.”
“She will.” Curran reached for Kate. “Hey, baby. Ready?”
She nodded. Curran slid his hands under her and picked her up, gently, as if she weighed nothing.
“Good?” he asked.
She put her arm around him. “Never better.”

Ilona Andrews
“Since we’re playing that game… I tilted my face up to his and gave him a lovesick gaze.
“Do you have to sneeze?” he asked.
“Be quiet. I’m pretending to enjoy your company, just as you said.”
“Try not to strain anything.”
“Oh, I won’t. I’m very good at faking it.”
That shut him up.”

Ilona Andrews
“Curran and Kate stood by the door.
“I can’t believe you decided to come down here and check on me,” she said.
“That was like a year ago. Will you let it go already?”
“No.” Curran grabbed her and pulled her to him, kissing her. “Never.”
She kissed him back and smiled.
Awww. Kate and the Beast Lord sitting in a tree…”

Ilona Andrews
“You’re touching me,” I chided him.
He caressed my back, sliding his hand down, hitting every sensitive point I hadn’t even known I had. “No, this is touching you. That was just accidental contact.”
“Oh? Good to know. If you touch me again and I break your arm off, you can be sure it will be completely accidental.”

Ilona Andrews
“You’re the most experienced investigator I’ve got who’s not tied up in something, and I can’t ask the Consort to look look into it, because A) she and Curran are working on something else and B) when the Consort gets involved, half of the world blows up.”

Ilona Andrews
“Kate stood by the door with her arms crossed.
That was an anti-Curran pose. What the hell was the Beast Lord doing here?
I padded to the door.
“First, you didn’t come home.” Curran’s voice held zero humor. “Second, I’m told that my mate is lingering in Raphael’s house. There can’t be any good reason for you to be here.”
“Are you spying on me, Your Furriness?” Kate asked.”

Ilona Andrews
“At first glance you looked at Kate and thought “fighter,” maybe merc. Five inches taller than me, she was all muscle—well, and some boobs—but mostly muscle. She moved like a predator and when she got pissed off, she exhaled aggression, like hot breath on a winter evening. Still, men looked, until they saw her eyes. Kate’s eyes were crazy. It was that hidden-deep crazy that told you that you had no idea what the hell she would do next but whatever it was, the bad guys wouldn’t like it.”

Ilona Andrews
“Did those nice church ladies come by again?"
He nodded. "I asked them if a man died and then the woman remarried, and then the three of them met in heaven, would it be a sin for them to have a threesome, since they were all married in God's eye. And they decided they were late to be somewhere else.”
Ilona Andrews, Gunmetal Magic

Elena Wonderful review :)

Layla Thank you, Elena! *hugs* Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I have :)

Elena Yeap, currently reading.. I am at work and read when I have some time off, which get on my nerves because I want to read and not stop until I finish the book :)

Layla Oh, that sucks then! I'd say it's better to occupy your time off with something else so that you can enjoy Gunmetal Magic when you're home and you can read it non-stop :)

Tokies the book had some crazy ass oh no he didnt moments. great book!

message 6: by Layla (last edited Aug 10, 2012 12:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Layla Tokies wrote: "the book had some crazy ass oh no he didnt moments. great book!"

I agree :) The action was thrilling and the book's pace was very fast. Like a good Kate Daniels book.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme I loved your reviews! Every point you wrote I agreed with. Well, um, I still think Raphael was an asshole AND I'm one of those people who wrote it on the author's blog. heheheh.

message 8: by Layla (last edited Aug 12, 2012 08:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Layla ♆ BookAddict wrote: "I loved your reviews! Every point you wrote I agreed with. Well, um, I still think Raphael was an asshole AND I'm one of those people who wrote it on the author's blog. heheheh."

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Layla wrote: "It happens :) Thanks a lot! Honestly, I thought that all Raphael wanted to do was provoke Andrea, to get a reaction out of her, any reaction. She's so controlled, no wonder he couldn't get a feel on her emotions. "

Yup. I understand he wanted to do the same. It backfired when he crossed the line. This is one of the most powerful passages for me.

“Too little, too late. I’m tired of waiting for you to stop running away from who you are. You want to know what the best thing about Rebecca is?”

His eyes were pure ruby and they burned. I was hanging on by a thread.

“She isn’t you.”
...
“I didn’t mean that,” Raphael said.

I call BULLSHIT mo-fo. Raphael wouldn't have said it if he didn't think it. And to that, Raphael is in the shit list. Andrea was too easy on him. She rolled over and just let him back in.

Layla True. I don't know why but this discussion didn't affect me, it didn't change my opinion about him. I guess that he was behaving like an angry, hurt shapeshifter that wanted to strike back, he intended to make her feel unwanted. Typical male. I agree that he acted like a spoiled brat but after all the effort, the waiting, the books in the tree, all the nice things he'd done to earn her I think he's entitled to a little revenge.

And I don't think he really meant the "She isn't you" line.

message 11: by ♆ BookAddict (last edited Aug 12, 2012 10:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Layla wrote: "And I don't think he really meant the "She isn't you" line. "

He said it. And he had to know how that would impact her. He tried to buy her affection with material things. He missed the essential element - understanding what makes her tick. He got it on one try when he finally was pissy. By validating that her 1/2 bred status, specifically her beastkin is unattractive. He knows she's already been abused for years for something she can not control. In fact, her existence is a death warrant for the most part. She can barely accept being who she was born. And he shows he understands this by his by saying "I’m tired of waiting for you to stop running away from who you are."

If he really wanted to be there for her and not be a smuck, he would have helped her from running away from who she is. He doesn't. Instead at every turn, he tries to force her into a mold of what he finds as acceptable bouda behaviour w/o taking account her experiences with a bouda.

This is what disappointed me with Raphael. Was it written believable and realistic? Hell yes. Did the author make a valid point and show how heroes make mistakes? Definitely. Does it enhance the book when he does this? Absolutely. Nonetheless, I still feel he got off easy.

Layla My, those were very good points! I agree with you. You're right but (there's a definite but :P) I think that Ilona took the time they spent apart as a punishment enough for both of them. I don't believe he got off easy. From my POV, they both screwed up things and then had to fight to find their balance.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Layla wrote: "My, those were very good points! I agree with you. You're right but (there's a definite but :P) I think that Ilona took the time they spent apart as a punishment enough for both of them. I don't be..."

Yeah, they did totally both screw up. I think it was good they were apart. It still would have been fun for me if Andrea did get to do a threesome. Now THAT would have been hilarious!

Layla I would've loved to see a threesome. Especially with Roman :P I would've paid to see Raphael's reaction :D

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Layla wrote: "I would've loved to see a threesome. Especially with Roman :P I would've paid to see Raphael's reaction :D"

O_O Oh my. Now that would be good. Roman and that cutie-pie, Ascendio (sp?). I can't really think of another woman she'd do...but that would be priceless too.

Layla I know. I don't know about Ascanio, I think he's too young to handle a woman like Andrea. He's just a teen, he should stick to Julie ;)
Another woman though? The only one that comes in mind is Kate but I don't think Curran wants to share :))

message 17: by ♆ BookAddict (last edited Aug 13, 2012 06:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Layla wrote: "I know. I don't know about Ascanio, I think he's too young to handle a woman like Andrea. He's just a teen, he should stick to Julie ;)
Another woman though? The only one that comes in mind is Kate..."

Ick though. Kate is Andrea's BFF - they are like sisters. I can't think of another bouda Andrea would let near her in that vulnerable position. I mean, Dali is the only "safe" one as the veterinarian tiger. That would really chap Jim's ass. hehehehehe

(view spoiler)

Layla :)))

I think so too. You are insane. That would be more on the pedo side. Imagine the uproar? Although, I could think of a few people who would be alright with that :P I'll just stick to my imaginary threesome with RAR (Raphael, Andrea and Roman) ;)

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Layla wrote: " RAR (Raphael, Andrea and Roman) ;) "

He's not that bloody young! Puhlleezze! He's freaking 16. It's more like "Are you trying to seduce me, Mrs. Robinson?"

I have to admit, RAR is pretty rwoar-mmm good. I like it!

Haydeed1 I love your reviews and mostly agree but I think Juli will end up with Derek. And Roman was way too much fun he needs to be part of the story from now on.