Karen's Reviews > The Floating Islands

The Floating Islands by Rachel Neumeier

Aug 29, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-11, fantasy-teen
Read from August 29 to September 07, 2011

Trei is 14 years old when he survives the volcanic eruption that destroys his entire homeland, Rounn, along with all the people, including his family. Rounn is in northern Tolounn, a military people, an empire built by conquering other lands and making them their provinces. Trei, newly orphaned, journeys the land to his uncle's house, on his father's side, but they do not take him in. Desperate and without any other option, he travels to the floating islands, located above the waters west of Tolounn, to seek out to his other uncle, the one on his mother's side. He is taken in and welcomed.

Even before reaching the floating islands, Trei is captivated by the kajuraihi, men that fly in the sky like birds. This becomes his passion and his uncle is very encouraging in him pursuing his passion, even though Trei doubts that they would let a Tolounnese become a kajuraihi. He wasn't Tolounnese enough for his paternal uncle to take him in and he was worried that he wasn't an islander enough and that they would not want the magic of the kajuraihi to fall into a Tolounnese.

Trei's counsin, Araene, is a girl. And people here don't have much ambition for girls. It seems their only goal in life is to marry well. Araene has a passion and talent to be a chef. She might have gifts in other areas as well.

Both Trei and Araene fight the obstacles that are in the way of them achieving their passions. There is also a war in this as Tolounn is trying to conquer the floating islands, but it's pretty mild because of the audience this is written for.

I really enjoyed this book. LOVE the whole concept of islands floating above water. Just love the cover art! I love the characters in this. What I love most about them are they are so human, regular, normal. In some books you will get characters that excel in everything and can do no wrong. In this, you get characters that excel in some things, are weak in others, and that make mistakes and are not always confident in themselves, their abilities, and their decisions 100% of the time.

I know this is a horrible review lol and just doesn't do the book justice. This was written for a younger audience, but I would love to see this fantastical world that Neumeier created on the big screen. Just the floating islands would make me catch my breath.

Here are some quotes:
"When we endure loss, the past reaches out to grip us from behind, but it's not wrong to turn your face forwards."

"The grief doesn't go away, ... But you...get used to it, you know? It's like carrying a heavy stone, one that's really too heavy for you: you learn to settle the weight properly, and then you get used to it, and then sometimes you can forget you're carrying it."

"A threat you will not carry out is no threat."

"Some men are not capable of learning anything that does not agree with their own opinions."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Floating Islands.

Quotes Karen Liked

Rachel Neumeier
“When we endure loss, the past reaches out to grip us from behind, but it's not wrong to turn your face forward.”

Rachel Neumeier
“The grief doesn't go away, ... "But you...get used to it, you know? It's like carrying a heavy stone, one that's really too heavy for you: you learn to settle the weight properly, and then you get used to it, and then sometimes you can forget you're carrying it.”

Rachel Neumeier
“A threat you will not carry out is no threat.”

Rachel Neumeier
“Some men are not capable of learning anything that does not agree with their own opinions.”

08/30/2011 page 44
08/30/2011 page 44
11.0% "Love the cover of this! And...there's a map! I'm weird, I just love fantasy/adventure novels that come with maps."
09/06/2011 page 324