Eden Colenca's Reviews > Firedancer

Firedancer by S.A. Bolich

U 50x66
Aug 29, 2011

Read in August, 2011

I was happy to see a full-length novel by this author, after encountering some of his (her? Why do people use just their initials?) short stories here on Goodreads and elsewhere. This was a really satisfying read, smoothly written, with beautiful descriptions and a main character who is fun to spend time with. She is not a Mary Sue, the dread I carry into any work where the character is probably going to save the world. Jetta, the MC, has her share of problems, including a peculiar cluelessness when it comes to men. Mourning her own life mate, she seems unable to believe that anyone else would be interested, and horrified to discover that she is being quietly pursued. I like it that Bolich does not have everyone leaping straight into each other's arms. Both parties to this slow-motion love affair are in mourning, both fighting feelings of betrayal of dead lovers and fear of committing to someone else, both being in somewhat dangerous professions. It is quite plausible and beautifully done.

The setting is well drawn, and the enemy is quite different than found in most fantasies. I confess to flying through this, fascinated by the concept of fire that is able to plot and plan its attacks on a village that has never been forced to confront it before. The concept of the Firedance is pretty cool, as is the rich detail that Bolich brings to every encounter. The book is well able to bring the reader into each scene, a talent I find lacking in a lot of fiction these days, and so I appreciate it where I do find it.

All in all, I recommend this. It's an easy read, but not simplistic in any way.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firedancer.