Eva Leger's Reviews > indognito: A Book of Canines in Costume

Sep 01, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: b-non-fiction, pets-animals, photography
Read on August 29, 2011

I don't know what to say about this. I suppose the most honest sentence would be this - "Had I paid more than the 97 cents Wal-Mart was selling this for, I'd be pissed."
It's not a bad book. It's just not worth more than 97 cents. One could make an argument that it's not worth that.
The photography is fine from the little I know of the subject. Some of the shots are unique and it can be easily seen that Ngo has talent for photography. My problem comes in with the subjects in the photos. Dressing my dog(s) up has never been my thing. I've actually never done it. Nor do I have any family or close friends who do it. I can think of only one time where I saw a dressed up animal and didn't feel sorry for it. Well, let me explain that better. This one time I didn't feel sorry for the poor thing being dressed like a pumpkin. And that's because he had much more going on which took my sympathy. This little Chihuahua was partially paralyzed. So the least of his worries was being dressed as a pumpkin and in any case, I don't think he even felt the costume.
But never have I seen any other dog look happy to be dressed up. Not once. We may think it's cute and oh-so-adorable but do they? Granted, it's not the end of the world. But damn. Let's put it this way, if we were the little small people who couldn't talk and our lives were taken over by giants with minds of their own, would we like being dressed up like this? I personally can say I would not. I prefer my animals as God made them.
That being said, I can still appreciate an animal in a cute outfit/costume from time to time if the animal doesn't look put out. One major problem I have with these photos are the costumes. I guess I was expecting more than your average PetSmart Halloween costumes. And that's not what Ngo offers here. There are maybe a handful of unique, well thought out costumes that actually fit the dog wearing it. The rest are dogs just through in any old costume pulled off the rack. A little more thought and creativity would have gone a long way here IMO.
The matador/Chihuahua and the Lab/emperor were both well put together costumes I thought and the Lab's costume, if not the Chihuahua's, was simple to put together.
The chicken/Pug and the birthday boy/Dachshund, while the dogs are simple adorable, are not costumed well IMO. (The Dachshund is wearing a pointed birthday hat. This is Ngo's "costume".)
I'd like to see people not be so intent on stuffing their animals into costumes not meant to be worn but if it's going to continue, and be documented, I hope people use more thought before shoving off with any old thing.
If you're just looking for cute dogs this'll work for you though. The dogs themselves are adorable and I'll probably keep this around in case anyone else wants to glance at it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read indognito.

message 1: by kari (new)

kari Great review. I can't really see the whole dogs in clothes thing either, but to each his or her own, I guess. Dogs don't much seem to enjoy it. I have a friend who emails me pics of dogs in costumes with the title "this is why dogs bite" LOL

message 2: by Eva (new) - rated it 2 stars

Eva Leger I've never seen any dogs that looked like they were thrilled to be all dolled up either. Same with those little purses. I just don't get it. I'd rather my dog walk with me than be in a dang purse.
The world is going crazy kari. lol