Cory Day's Reviews > Seawitch

2044077
Sep 03, 12

bookshelves: fiction-urban-fantasy, read_2012
Read from September 01 to 04, 2012

I first read about Kat Richardson's Harper Blaine in a short story in one urban fantasy anthology or another, and that convinced me to read her novels. Seawitch is the seventh I've read, and while I still prefer the short stories, I'll be continuing to follow Harper's adventures.

Seawitch is plot-heavy and short on character development, but that seems appropriate for Harper's character. She's a slightly aloof self-described loner, so getting to know her fictionally feels similar to what it would mean to get to know her in real life. In this volume she's working on becoming a better friend by reducing the number of times she relies on those she loves to find answers she could search for herself; this stands in opposition to her tendency to rush headlong into things and NOT allow people to help her. If Richardson chooses to pursue this line of character development, I'd like to see it become a more integral part of the plot line.

The plot of Seawitch walked a nice balance between being creepy but not giving me nightmares, although I did feel many of the revelations were obvious to me much earlier than to the characters. It was good seeing Harper work with a police partner, especially as his character is beginning to be flushed out nicely. All in all, I enjoyed going back into Harper Blaine's world - it always feels like visiting with old (if slightly aloof) friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seawitch.