Amanda's Reviews > Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft

Locke & Key, Vol. 1 by Joe Hill

Aug 30, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, comics-graphic-novels, fantasy, fiction, ghosts, relationships, mystery
Read on August 29, 2011

The story was darker than I expected, but I really loved the premise: after a striking tragedy, the Locke family moves into the familial residence of Key House and discovers that the house dark holds secrets and enemies that threaten to pull the Lockes further apart. I really liked the premise of Key House and its keys/doors that grant users different abilities. The primary characters, Tyler, Kinsey, and bode Locke, were relatable and accessible and the same is true of the secondary characters. The story displays a great balance between intriguing mystical nature of the house and the relationships between people. And though the protagonists really seem to the be the Locke children (in high school and a first grader, respectively), the subject matter makes this very much an adult work, perhaps older YA depending on the reader. The art for the comic was beautiful with the right mix of stylization and real depictions. I can't wait to read the rest of the series and find out more about the house's and the family's secrets.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Locke & Key, Vol. 1.