Melissa's Reviews > John Lennon: The Life

John Lennon by Philip Norman

Jun 09, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read in June, 2012

I read this book as slowly as possible, because it really brought John to life and I didn't want him to die again.

Yoko didn't endorse this book because she thought the author was mean to John. I don't agree. I don't think you can really appreciate where his music, artistic endeavors, relationships with others, and charitable ventures came from without knowing his faults and struggles, as well as his strengths. Maybe I just related to his pain and struggles in too many ways to feel judgement toward his actions.

I was engrossed in how his life paralleled the life of his father and Yoko's great-grandfather, and how the psychics Yoko regularly consulted saw pain ahead, but didn't seem to perceive a way to avoid it as they usually did. On his journey, he found a "soulmate", had finally achieved inner-peace, and died while being an awesome father. Maybe his soul's journey was complete. As big as we perceive our loss of him to be because of what "could have been", maybe it is our turn to carry the torch - that was his message, after all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read John Lennon.