Doreen's Reviews > Growing Up Amish

Growing Up Amish by Ira Wagler

Aug 30, 11

Recommended to Doreen by: i forget
Recommended for: anyone who likes reading about different religions and lifestyles
Read on August 28, 2011

I didn't realize that the Amish aren't all the same. There are varying degrees of modernism among the groups, scattered throughout the continent. There are rules about buggy wheels and the length of dresses. There is not just one way to live as an Amish.

Ira Wagler struggles with living in his Amish community. This is partly a coming of age story. Ira runs away many times, but is always welcomed back. That's one of the things that I found amazing about Amish parents.....no matter what, they forgive their children immediately. It certainly goes against the modern version of 'tough-love' parenting. Ira struggles to find where he belongs in the world. His place for eternity depends on it! As an Amish man, he goes to Heaven. Turning away from his Amish Church, will land him 'somewhere else' entirely.

The tone becomes very religious in the last several pages. I am a bit surprised and confused as to where he ended up as an adult. He still has restrictions and lives a life far from my 'English' world. Still, it is a good, informational story, told in a heartfelt way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Growing Up Amish.