Franz McLaren's Reviews > Semester Aboard

Semester Aboard by Elizabeth Kirke

Sep 12, 11

Read from August 29 to September 08, 2011 — I own a copy

In "More Than Magic: Semester Aboard", Elizabeth Kirke has penned a novel that has nearly everything that a fantasy lover could want. She has combined a college course cruise through Mexico and South America with a discovery of self through interaction with a host of magical creatures. With the deft touch of a natural story teller, she brings to life vampires, werewolves, elementals, witches, and a host of enchanting creatures in a believable mix of legend and contemporary insight. All of this while still ensuring that her heroine, Jen, maintains good grades in class.

This is a tale that touches the reader on many levels. The interaction between the characters is believable. The angst of a college student is skillfully portrayed. The confusion of meeting and trying to understand unfamiliar cultures is deftly handled. All of this, while simultaneously maintaining a high level of suspense, leads to a book that is hard to put down. Fortunately for us, Elizabeth Kirke has left this book wide open for many sequels. I for one look forward to reading more of Jen's tale in the near future.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Semester Aboard.