Tuppermalone's Reviews > Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight

Sep 22, 11

it was ok
bookshelves: book-club-reads
Read from August 29 to September 04, 2011

I'm not sure where I'm off track on this book since it has gotten a lot of 4-5 star reviews. The small bits of humor in the book are far out weighted in my mind by the mindless suffering of the children ...not just white but black as well. The mental torture that Bobo and Van go through for the sake of their parents' ambition (?) is mind boggling. The fact that their mother is an alcoholic and has a major nervous breakdown is never attributed to the life style that she and her husband, Tim, have chosen.

My personal experience with ex-pats is that they would be considered ordinary people had they stayed in their country of origin. But to go to another country, where they are considered "superior" primarily by themselves, puts them in a league of their own which is what they crave. This is all at the expense of the native people of the country they occupy. They feel that without their civilizing influence, black Africans could not survive but look at the history of Europe and in its beginning the Celts, the Vikings, the Visigoths were tribes of war faring people. Who is to say that we are much improved in the United States since we have waged war in nearly every year of the nation's existence? From the Indian wars, to expansionist wars, to wars to protect American interests abroad, the USA has waged war in all but 24 years of its existence. Our wars in Africa have been extensive.

So, although the book is about Bobo and her immediate family, it is an illustration of imperialism without the intention of being so. I found the book off putting although in the epilogue, the author makes an argument for herself as not being a racist in spite of the fact that she witnessed or was a part of racist action as a youth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight.