Lo's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Sep 12, 11

bookshelves: meh, overrated
Read from September 10 to 12, 2011

This review will not recap the story, but below are my general thoughts on the book.

I really, really wanted to like this book. Everyone and every review (okay maybe not every,) but the majority say that this is the best book in forever. I might be in the unpopular opinion here, but I would have wanted someone to tell me that the book's official summary is misleading. I was lead to believe that this was going to be non-stop action book, by this statement: "...a fierce competition is under way-- a dual between two young magicians..." And... It's not.

WHY I READ IT: I was able to win an ARC copy (one that I was extremely excited about), it has more five star reviews than not, rave reviews, and it has a confirmed film deal. (Maybe I shouldn't have know that there was a film deal, because I kept thinking that there was no way for this to be seen on film, and I think w/ the lack of action, it might make people fall asleep.) Overall, the book left me with shrugged shoulders. I wouldn't say I regretted reading it, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was enjoyable either.

WHAT I LIKED: I like the circus setting, the "magic", and at points I was rushing through the pages to see what was happening next. The imagery and details of the circus were beautiful, but there were somethings I just could not visualize. Maybe that's the point?

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The book has time jumps that at first make things very confusing. It also introduces many characters at once. I found myself flipping back to see who they were and in what year I was reading. I understand it's done to hold the reader's interest, but it is mostly distracting. It makes the reader feel distant from the characters, at least that's what it did for me. The characters they introduce are of importance, but I'd rather the story not focus on certain characters to give me more of the characters that mattered to me the most: Celia, Marco, Bailey, Poppet and Widget. Although I cared for these characters, I really felt like I didn't connect as much as I'd like to have or I should have. Also, I like reading books with a great romance aspect, and it was being hyped as this super romantic book, so maybe that was the downfall? I thought this romance would be of EPIC proportions. It was sweet, but it is easily forgettable...just like the entire story. Sorry, I just don't get how this is a five-star book--at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

09/10/2011 page 61
16.0% "Great so far!"
09/11/2011 page 310
80.0% "Dying to find out what happens next, but I'm fighting sleep. I'd like to say that the secondary story of Bailey and Poppet is absolutely adorable."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lo I won the ARC of this book a few days before it comes out. :) Excited to get into it.

message 2: by Erica (new)

Erica K. awesome!

Hannah I completely agree. So much potential but in the end I didn't really understand the story........at all.

message 4: by Jessie (new) - added it

Jessie It could have been so much better in the romance department. Maybe that's why am so disappointed in it. I was reading it for that.

Ashley Maybe a movie is a good idea... cure for insomnia. I know the book put me to sleep within minutes

message 6: by Lo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lo Ashley wrote: "Maybe a movie is a good idea... cure for insomnia. I know the book put me to sleep within minutes"

@Ashley GOOD ONE. I cannot see how this book would make an entertaining movie! The "main" characters are separated for basically the entire book and the competition is so DULL.

message 7: by Dora (new) - rated it 1 star

Dora Goupil It was a disappointment for me too. Who actually enjoyed it from the beginning till the end?

message 8: by Joe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joe Hunt Good review. I like your honesty.

I agree. I don't think it's as good as Jonathan Strange, for example -- from which she borrowed a few things.

I'm actually hoping the movie will make it better, which is possible.

Diana Yes. I didn't quite understand the story at all either.