Casey's Reviews > A River to Cross

A River to Cross by Yvonne Harris

3194216
Sep 02, 11

Read from August 29 to September 02, 2011

I’m afraid I can’t give a glowing review on every book I read and while there were enjoyable places in “A River to Cross”, I found a great deal of this story unbelievable. More than once during the book I thought a scene was not appropriate to the time period. And while I won’t enter into specifics as it would just be degrading, I will say I didn’t believe many of the events between the hero and heroine would actually happen. I thought several historical facts were also inaccurate. It seemed too “modern”.

The romance really rocketed to a fast start which I thought was a bit too fast. It didn’t seem plausible that the hero would see the heroine for the first time in a picture and immediately have heart flutters. However this is a short book with a short word count, so that very possibly, could have been the intent of the author.

Several action scenes were well laid out, including the opening kidnapping scene. While I did enjoy the debut book, “The Vigilante’s Bride”, I didn’t find this book as entertaining to read. I was pulled too many times from the storyworld with what I considered implausibility.

Now, with that said, I believe that if you enjoyed the first novel by this author, you will enjoy this second. This is simply the opinion of one reader.

This is review is my honest opinion. Thanks to the publisher for my copy to review.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A River to Cross.

08/29/2011 page 89
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elaine (new) - added it

Elaine This looks like a good book. I want to read it myself one of these days. ;)

Casey It just got here today and I enjoyed her first one. Hope I enjoy this one as much!

Katie How's this one working out for you? I got mine yesterday and read a few chapters (a kidnapping always grabs my interest! ;-) So far, its okay. Had a few problems with it, like Jake having to dress her and all cuz she couldn't get to her buttons. Thought that was a bit extreme...but maybe that's just me.

Casey I kind of thought the same thing, Katie. So far I agree with you, it's good--but I haven't gotten deep enough into it to make a good decision.

message 5: by Kaity-Jane (last edited Aug 31, 2011 07:15PM) (new)

Kaity-Jane Culbertson I read The Vigilante's Bride and thought it was good, but nothing exceptional. Can't wait to hear your opinions on this one. :)

Casey I liked TVB and this story seems to be along the same lines. :)

message 7: by Kaity-Jane (new)

Kaity-Jane Culbertson Okay cool. Hope you like it! :)