Pam's Reviews > On Foot to the Golden Horn: A Walk to Istanbul

On Foot to the Golden Horn by Jason Goodwin

Aug 29, 11

Read in August, 2011

This book caught my eye because I've been enjoying the Yashim/Istanbul mystery series by J. Goodwin so much...as well as the fact that we had just returned from visitng Prague ...w/ a continued sense of not understanding the geopolitical nature of Eastern Europe/NOT Eastern Europe/Balkans...etc.

Jason Goodwin decided to approach his beloved and dreamed of Istanbul in a very special way..WALKING - from Poland (on the Baltic coast), through CZ, the tip of Hungary, Transylvania/Romania...quickly through Bulgaria and into Turkey > . The book has so much history (anecdotal: factual) as well as his personal portrait of present-day Central Europe - conveyed in wonderful prose (as I would have expected). Honestly, I just kept reading and reading. It was not suspenseful but so very intersting and alive. Hooray to me for taking a chance on this!! If you, too, are interested in this part of the world, I strongly recommend picking this up. Its not long, 279 pg in my edition - and goody good good ALL the way through.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Foot to the Golden Horn.