Lia's Reviews > Undecorate: The No-Rules Approach to Interior Design

Undecorate by Christiane Lemieux

1196481
Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: art-and-craft, house-design, simple-life

The thing I really, really like about this book: The way it gives permission to go totally toward your own style, whatever that may be.

The thing I really didn't like about this book: I didn't connect with any of the styles presented. Not one. But maybe that teaches me A LOT about by own style.

I realized as I looked at the pictures that I often found them cluttered. I like clean and open. I like comfort and warmth. I like inviting and interesting. I do not like clutter and distraction (lots of distraction in this book, according to my taste). I do not like loud colors and clashing patterns. I guess I wish there had been some examples that weren't as "excessive" as those pictured. Something with the breath of simplicity while at the same time being individual. That's what I'm looking for.

This is an eclectic book in many ways, which is both its great strength and its great weakness. By the end, I didn't feel like I had an idea of what "undecorate" meant in practice. In theory, yes. But practice, no. So, the idea of the book is inspiring, but none of the pictures were ... for me anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undecorate.