rameau's Reviews > Silminnäkijä

Silminnäkijä by Patricia Cornwell

Aug 31, 11

bookshelves: genre-whodunit, rating-how-am-i-supposed-to-know, read-in-2011, language-finnish-translation
Read from August 29 to 31, 2011

I almost didn't click to update my status on this book, simply because I didn't know what to say about it. I finished reading it last night and I've had few hours to think about it and I still don't know.

Cornwell can write. She knows how to craft a character, or ten, and she knows how to create a mystery. She wouldn't be as popular as she is if she couldn't. Still, this is the first Cornwell mystery I've read and I was less than impressed. I shouldn't have been. It was all right there. A mystery I couldn't solve by the halway mark and characters I could empathise with, whether I wanted to or not, and writing devoid of all the cliches that usually makes me throw a mystery novel out of the window.

It was a style issue. That's the best way I can describe it. Such a small choice as the present tense dates this novel in a way a forty-five year old murder couldn't. The illusion of now and fleeting time helps to keep observations fresh and the reader distracted from the clues Cornwell gives, but it also makes me painfully aware of the fact that I'm not 25 anymore. I'm not living in 2008 and I didn't rush to bookshop to buy this mystery novel right after having finished its prequel.

Maybe it's just me, it probably is just me, but I'm giving two stars to this four star book simply because of a style issue that didn't fit me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silminnäkijä.

08/29/2011 page 28
14.0% "Third limited present tense. Emphasis on the tense."
08/30/2011 page 98
48.0% "I feel ill."

Janet You are not alone. It doesn't fit a lot of people!