Robin's Reviews > Dear Jane: The Two Hundred Twenty-Five Patterns from the 1863 Jane Stickle Quilt

Dear Jane by Brenda M. Papadakis

Jan 03, 11

bookshelves: 2010
Read in December, 2010

I love this quilt. I mean LOVE. I've spent the last 3 years working on it and have made all 225 blocks now (finished the last one 12/31/10!). By hand even. But I have to say, though the quilt is a thing of beauty (definite 5-stars!), the book is definitely on the lackluster side. Papadakis provides line drawings of each of the blocks and nothing else-- no instructions, tips, hints, etc. One must be a pretty intrepid quilter to just dive in and do it with so little guidance. Interspersed throughout are journal entries from the author that, though kind of fun to read, don't offer any additional enlightenment of any kind (I was hoping for more history, why she made the design choices she did in her renderings of the blocks, or at least some of the stories behind why she named the blocks as she did). She offers only minimal information regarding what one needs to do to put the thing together (e.g., sashing, borders, scallops, etc.). The majority is left to the imagination of the reader.

It is important to note that there are an abundance of resources available online to assist someone in taking this journey of a project (Papadakis is even involved in some of them). And there is awesome software available that is really helpful (highly recommended). But the book alone? Yeah. 3 stars.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Jane.

message 1: by Landjjames (new)

Landjjames I have this. Are you tempted to try making one?

Robin I actually only have 3 border triangles left! I've been working at it in earnest since March 2008, doing all the blocks by hand. It's pretty slow going. :P You should check out my blog! I post pictures of each block as I complete them along with pics of all of my other projects too.

Asuka0278 very well stated about the book. :) My thoughts exactly.