Michelle's Reviews > The Silver Chair

The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

Aug 29, 11

bookshelves: 2011, book-i-own, fantasy-novel-research, rereads
Read on August 28, 2011

I think I am just a little too invested in this series at this point, because even though Aslan told us at the end of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader that we wouldn't be seeing Pevensies anymore, I was really resentful of Jill and Eustace for getting to go to Narnia when Lucy didn't. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.

To be fair I read this whole book by candlelight in the middle of a hurricane, so there's that.

Anyway, I actually really liked this book. I love quest narratives (thanks JBlack), and this has everything that allegorical quest could possibly want. It's right up the alley of The Faerie Queene, so I was pleased with that. Some people were annoyed with the ambiguous quality of Aslan's instructions for Jill, but that's part of the allegory, duh. Also, Jill and Eustace's struggle to follow the signs and remember their quests is not only obviously part of the allegory, it is also very typical quest novel stuff (Redcrosse Knight anyone?).

I said it before about The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and it is definitely true about this book as well, C.S. Lewis was definitely exploring other places just so he would write about fun new creatures and phenomenons. Grotesque giants Evil snakey witches Marsh-wiggles Underground gnomes Edible gold and jewels Cool stuff Don't worry C.S. I'm not hating if I were writing a children's fantasy series I'd do it too.

The characters of this novel were pretty good too - Jill was definitely privileged over Eustace and I found that I grew to like her even though I will always love Lucy the most . Puddleglum was awesome and at risk of talking about this story like it really happened Jill and Eustace couldn't have hoped for a better guide.

In summary as a child when I read these I think I got a little bored toward the end because I can't remember them at all. But as an older person more well-versed in the history of story telling and fiction I'm enjoying these later installments must more than the earlier ones although of course The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe will always have a special place).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Chair.

Quotes Michelle Liked

C.S. Lewis
“I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.”
C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair

C.S. Lewis
“Even in this world of course it is the stupidest children who are most childish and the stupidest grown-ups who are most grown-up.”
C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair