Kelli Beard's Reviews > Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart

Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart by Beth Pattillo

Aug 29, 11

bookshelves: jane-austen-universe
Read on August 29, 2011

** spoiler alert ** The novel begins with Claire Prescott attending a Jane Austen seminar at Oxford University in place of her sister. She meets James, a sly, seemingly romantic (and very Darcy-like) publisher, who ignites in Claire a romance worthy of Pride and Prejudice. Harriet, an older Austen fanatic on the brink of dementia, lures her into the secrets surrounding the first draft of Pride and Prejudice, known as First Impressions. Keeping the draft a secret, managing her feelings with James, and confronting her All-American boyfriend Neil (who romantically flies to England to be with Claire) leads Claire on a personal journey, where she learns the true meaning of love and the truth about herself.

Without giving away the ending, I found that the truth about James was a little rushed, and he was cast away quickly (as quickly as Claire had realized how she really felt about Neil, her boyfriend.) However, I couldn't put down this book, and I got caught up in the intrigue of the romance, mystery, and Claire's emotional growth.

Despite how James ended up, I was secretly hoping he was more like Darcy, and that their relationship could have paralleled Elizabeth and Darcy's.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart.

08/29/2011 page 95