Kandice's Reviews > The Twelfth Enchantment

The Twelfth Enchantment by David Liss

Sep 04, 11

bookshelves: books-read-in-2011, historical
Read from August 28 to September 04, 2011

If this book had been by any other author, I probably would have liked it even more. But this book was something of a departure for Liss, and I'm not sure I liked his move away from what he does best. While this was a historical fiction and used Lord Byron and William Blake to advance the story, it didn't have the veracity that Liss's other books have had. Perhaps this is due to the subject matter. This book deals with the occult and magic. Lucy is a young woman who finds herself embroiled in a war between magic and the approaching age of technology. In her efforts to find her way in life, she becomes the individual destined to save the world. Because while she is just a novice to magic, she somehow has the skills to stop entities that are extremely old and powerful. This just doesn't ring true (even when suspending disbelief related to the central theme of the story). I've always liked Liss's research and attention to detail, and the fact he makes us care about historical times as seen through the eyes of his characters. That research, detail, and historical accuracy were not even needed in this book, and that fact left me very disappointed. Here's hoping that Liss returns to the historical accuracy and detail that he does best in his next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twelfth Enchantment.